Our third day in California was a Sunday. We decided to attend church in Carlsbad in the afternoon. We spent the morning in our hotel room relaxing. Emmett was able to take a much needed nap. I am impressed with his ability to keep up with us though.
Josh was reading an article in a magazine about a 14 year old surfer that has been very successful so far, The article mentioned that the boy attended church every Sunday and some other things about his family. Josh commented, "I bet this kid's Mormon!" Imagine our surprise when a couple of hours later, we were waiting for the sacrament at church and this very surfer boy was standing ahead of us passing it out!!! It was really funny. We didn't ask for his autograph or anything though. Should have, just because, but we didn't.
That evening we were driving around near the ocean and were amazed at the droves of people sitting outside their homes and running to the beach to watch the sunset. They were pretty fabulous, I will admit, but Colorado's are much more dramatic and I have never seen us running to watch them in droves. I wonder if it is always like that. I learned a lesson from this!
The day was finished with us sitting outside sort of near the pool and doing four loads of laundry. Not very Sabbath appropriate, but necessary. (I do about four loads every day and didn't want to bring so many dirty clothes home.) Ellie and Addison discovered ping pong. They had a lot of fun even though I don't think they ever got the hang of it. Emmett and Brooklyn dug in the rocks and kept themselves entertained well. I was glad when the day was over and we could go out and do more exciting things but I do really enjoy visiting church in other places. I like that we can show the kids that no matter the place, our church is the same.
I love that you guys went to church. I remember many times as a kid that my parents made us go to church when we were on vacation. As a kid I hated it but to me then, it just meant not knowing anyone in Primary and feeling left out. Now I love that it's the same and I get to renew my covenants! Looks like a great vacation!
ReplyDeleteI loved reading about your adventures in CA. So fun! That is where we are going on our next family vacation. :)
ReplyDelete